Sustainable livingClick to Enlarge
In today's day and age where being environmentally conscious is a way of life, having a rain water tank to collect and store water is a given. Rainwater harvesting can help your household on the path to mains water neutrality. This is vital to help alleviate pressure on Perth’s drying climate and struggling water supply.
The difference between using water from the tap versus water from the clouds has a profound effect on the plants as there is no chlorine just pure activated rain water. The energy gathered by each raindrop as it falls from the sky is given to your garden. When we grow our veggies in the back yard here in Perth, we find that plants love pure rainwater, so does the environment.
To complement your rain water tank, the installation of raised garden beds (veggie tanks) is a must.
Growing your own veggies is a way of life. The fun of preparing the soil planting seeds or seedlings, watering and fertilizing the seedlings, having them grow to maturity and enjoying the fruits of your labour is priceless. Additionally reducing the number of food miles your meals travel reduces greenhouse gas emissions and reduces the cost of your weekly shopping bills!
The flavour of fresh fruit or veggies is something that every person should experience. Fresh from the vine or the ground the flavour is incredible. It should simply be enjoyed!
The lessons a raised garden teaches us are lessons for life.
- Prior preparation prevents poor performance
- Nothing happens over night
- We must tend our garden
- Weed our garden regularly to keep away what we don’t want (a stitch in time saves nine)
- With regular, consistent watering, fertilizing and care, our seedlings will grow to be a beautiful harvest!
- Plants (like life) have seasons and cycles.
- Sometimes fun and easy, other times challenging and hard, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel and we can get through
- A garden is for a lifetime